It’s easy to buy a windscreen, but buying one that fits your expectations, needs, and budget can feel like an overwhelming process. Many people do not know where to start or what factors to consider. Luckily, we have the right resources. We sat down with Account Executive, Kevin Rudolph, to answer commonly asked windscreen questions, and help guide you in the process.
You’ll realize that with the right help, buying a windscreen is a smooth and exciting experience!
What is the purpose of a windscreen?
KR: The main purpose of a windscreen is for protection against the wind. They are commonly hung on outfield fences or dugout areas to block the wind and enhance privacy by reducing the sight of distractions outside the field.
Other benefits include:
- Ball Sight- a windscreen can give hitters a better ball sight because it eliminates outside distractions
- Visual Effects- a windscreen will improve the overall look of your field by adding a pop of color and professional feel
- Branding Opportunity – adding a logo to a windscreen is a great way to get brand recognition
- Sun blockage – like wind, windscreens can help reduce the harsh rays of the sun
How do I get started?
KR: First, you’ll want to know the dimensions of the fence/surface you plan to put your windscreen on.
Next, give us a call and let us know what surface and its dimensions.
Based on that, you’ll decide what dimensions you want your windscreen to be. Think about how much of the fence you want covered but keep in mind, we recommend leaving 3-6 inches at the bottom between the windscreen and the ground. We recommend leaving this space to avoid the possible damage that could be caused by lawn mowers and weed whackers. If your fence has a fence guard on it, we also recommend leaving 6 inches between the top of the fence and the windscreen.
If your surface is not a chain-link fence, let us know what surface you do plan on attaching it to, and we can help you find the best way to do so.
Lastly, let us know your budget. We have options to suit all needs (such as PO and tax exempt) and will work closely with you to find the perfect fit for the right price.
What kind of material should my windscreen be?
Before deciding which windscreen to buy, there are some factors that need to be taken into consideration to help you make the right decision. For example, consider how windy and sunny the area is. We have three main windscreen options:
- Solid Vinyl (18 oz.) – This windscreen provides complete privacy and provides 100% blockage from wind and sun. Recommended for indoors and solid walls.
- Hitter’s Eye – this windscreen eliminates distractions by acting as a single color back drop that gives the hitter a better ball sight. Cannot be printed on.
- Standard Mesh (8oz.) – This windscreen provides great shade/privacy, and is our most cost-effective option.
- Armor Mesh (14 oz.) – Our most durable option, this windscreen is perfect for high wind areas because it is made with 40% more fabric weight than the Standard Mesh.
View the chart below to help you decide which windscreen is right for you:
All windscreens are fabricated with grommet holes every 18 inches. Custom grommet spacing is available upon request.
Can I put a logo?
Yes. You can customize your windscreen with any logo/picture in any font, any color, and any size. The price to add a logo is based on its size.
Your logo or design must be submitted as a vector file. This type of file allows our designers to adjust the size of your image without losing its quality. If you do not have a vector file for your logo, we can create it for a small art fee. Files that are considered ‘vector’ include: .ai, .eps, and sometimes .pdf
Please note, there are set colors for the windscreen itself. We can match the exact color of your logo, but the background windscreen color may not be exact. See below for your windscreen background color options:
Will I be able to see my design before I get my product?
Yes, we always provide proofs and wait until your adjustments/approval before putting it into production. See below for an example:
What are other important factors to consider?
- Height – the ideal height for a windscreen is 6ft. If you want yours to be higher, we will attach a lacing lip. This is important to provide support to the windscreen and fence, and keep them from wind damage, sagging, and flapping around.
- Extra Air-Flow – If your windscreen is in a heavy wind area, you may want to consider adding half moon cuts for more air flow. This happens during production. You can have as many cuts as you want, we recommend one every 10 ft.
- Gates – If your fence has any gates or entrance ways, you will not want your windscreen to block them. In this case, we would split the windscreen according to how many gates there are. We recommend that no one piece exceeds 50-75ft. If you’re windscreen does need to be cut in pieces, this will be done at no additional cost.
How long until I can get my windscreen?
Our lead times are usually 3-4 weeks. Without a custom logo, that time will be shorter.
During our busy season (January-March), lead times may be longer.
How can I install my windscreen?
It’s a simple job that you can do with as little as 3 people! Check out our blog post on how to properly install a windscreen.
Ready to speak with a representative? Give us a call 800-365-6171.